Why opt for a loft conversion?
If you love where you live and just need a little more space a loft conversion can give you the additional space you need, without the expense and hassle of moving. In an article published in The Telegraph in April 2015 the average costs of moving were quoted at almost £12,000.00! That’s in addition to the extra you are likely to be paying for moving to the house that gives you the space you desire.
A loft conversion gives you the option to create the type of space you need for your family. Most often this will be a new bedroom suite which includes an en-suite and dressing space, however this could just as easily be a hobby room or home office; we can explore any ideas you may have. Recent research carried out by the Nationwide Building Society has stated that a loft conversion could add up to 20% to the value of your home.
Planning permission and Building Regulations
A loft conversion for your house is considered to be permitted development, not requiring an application for planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:
- A volume allowance of 40 cubic metres additional roof space for terraced houses*
- A volume allowance of 50 cubic metres additional roof space for detached and semi-detached houses*
- No extension beyond the plane of the existing roof slope of the principal elevation that fronts the highway
- No extension to be higher than the highest part of the roof
- Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house
- No verandas, balconies or raised platforms
- Side-facing windows to be obscure-glazed; any opening to be 1.7m above the floor
- Roof extensions not to be permitted development in designated areas**
- Roof extensions, apart from hip to gable ones, to be set back, as far as practicable, at least 20cm from the original eaves
- The roof enlargement cannot overhang the outer face of the wall of the original house.
Once you know you wish to convert your loft please call us and arrange a home visit. Jason will come and meet with you and discuss what you hope to achieve, during this process he will get to understand how you like to use your space/home. On occasion, he will use his 20 plus years of experience and knowledge to make suggestions in order to help optimise your space whilst still achieving what you need from your home.
Why choose Creating Better Homes team of professional builders?
The advantage of using our team of expert builders is that you can be assured the project will be completed to both our and your exacting standards – just see our customer testimonials for independent assurance. We are Which? Trusted Traders and work closely with the local building inspector where required to ensure any works are signed off upon completion. We always use Gas Safe registered engineers where required and ‘Part P / NIC EIC’ registered electricians for all of our domestic work.
If you want further assurance, please look at pictures of our projects both on Facebook and on the site.